nerve message transmission. Help please.

Paul Attard paul at satelite.demon.co.uk
Mon Oct 20 11:43:12 EST 1997

First let me say a VERY big thankyou to all who responded to my
questions.  All answers will be digested over a few weeks.  meantime I
have a couple more questions.

I have recently seen on TV a documentary which stated that the dorsal
ganglia were in fact extremley long single cells which stretch from the
region of the brain stem to the muscles they control (in the case of
toes this seems to be a fair old way for a single cell) If this is true
if the cell were severed would the entire cell therfor die or just the
bit below the cut or would both ends still be functional as long as the
blood supply to the parts was intact?

When a person, for example, raises a leg, certain muscles are activated
to accomplish the act.  Is the potential on the nerves that serve the
muscles involved held at a constant or is is the signal pulsed, if the
signal is pulsed then at what sort of frequency?

I am aware that these questions may seem trivial and of no consequence
and that the answers can be found by going through the available text
books.  The reason I am asking here is that my day job gives me no time
to go to the libary and I would have no idea where to start.  Any
assistance given IS much appriciated, believe me.

Many thanks

--
Paul Attard J.P.
(Brigantia. http:\\www.satelite.demon.co.uk/brigantia)

                        All those moments...will be lost...in time
                               Like tears...In the rain.

                                      Time to Die.

(Blade Runner)