nerve message transmission. Help please.

Christine McGregor af826 at FreeNet.Carleton.CA
Thu Oct 30 14:44:04 EST 1997

Paul Attard (paul at satelite.demon.co.uk) writes:
> Please excuse my intrusion, but I am in need of some basic information
> on the way nerves transmit and receive information.  I am currently
> doing some work on basic theoretical cyborg systems.
>
> What is the method by which messages are sent to muscles via the nerves?
> (electro chemical)?
>
> If it is electro/chemical what sort of levels.  I assume the greater the
> level the greater the reaction?
>
> Can these levels be measured?
>

> Are the same nerves used to transmit as well as to receive?
> (simplex/duplex)?
>
> Any assistance would be very gratefully received
>
> --
> Paul Attard J.P.
> (Brigantia. http:\\www.satelite.demon.co.uk/brigantia)
>

>                         All those moments...will be lost...in time
>                                Like tears...In the rain.
>
>                                       Time to Die.
>
> (Blade Runner)

Paul,
I've just been browsing through Spectrum, one of many engineering publications
from the IEEE...(Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers). There
I saw an ad for a book that sounds like it might help you. Here's what it
says. *Understanding the Nervous System, an Engineering Approach*, by Sid
Deutsch and Alice Deutsch. 1993 softcover, 408 pages.
	"Simplified engineering-based models for neurophysiological systems
...Providing a fascinating alternative to the unwieldy life science sources,
this book describes how the nervous system (including the brain) communicates
with, sends signals to, and receives input from the sensory organs. Starting
with the basic principles, the authors unfold the mystery of this communicat-
ion with simple, elegant mathematical formulas to enhance your under-
standing of how the nervous system functions"
	IEEE member price is $34.00 (US). List price $39.95. IEEE order #
PP2915-QBZ. Order 24 hrs /day, 7 days/week.
	1-800-678-IEEE (toll-free USA only)
	1-908-981-0060
	or fax 1-908-981-9667
Please note, I have not seen this book personally, but this is from IEEE
Press, and they are very respectable.
					--Cheers,
						Christine
--