machine brains

ray scanlon rscanlon at
Sun Sep 28 20:05:20 EST 1997

     When I look up at the night sky and am aware of a star, there is a
     small group or neurons (possibly only one) whose activity gives
     rise to this awareness. Alternatively it is not a neuron but a
     small region in the electro-magnetic field that envelopes the
     brain. In either event it is the relationship between this part of
     the physical world and my awareness of the star that makes up to
     body and soul problem. This is the essence of Chalmers's hard
     problem. Explain this and I explain everything, fail to explain
          this and I explain nothing.

email: rscanlon at

If you are interested in how the brain works, visit