development of speech

NEURONETTE neuronette at aol.com
Tue Sep 30 21:51:11 EST 1997

I have looked everywhere to find out what is known
about the development of spoken language/speech.
The only thing I have found has been the psychological
theories- that it develops in well defined stages, but
according to individual timetables.  However, elsewhere
I've also found smallprint that not all babies babble,
and that some babies don't say much until they start
talking in sentences (Einstein).    I even posted to the
language board but got the -most babies are fine - speech,
and noone there could tell me anything about the
neurobiology.

SO.... my question is who is studying/where are they studying
the brain regions and language development?  The cortex
(comprehension) vs. Broca vs. Wernicke's?  I've been trying
to research this, and just tonight had a lightbulb go off as
to a theory of early/late speech, but now I feel possessive
if this is a unique angle :)    As an aside, if I share this
theory with someone in the field, do I lose "ownership" of
it, or if it works out, will I get some recognition?

Thanks much!
Lisa