Toward a Science of Consciousness 1998

Ton Maas tonmaas at
Mon Apr 27 05:37:16 EST 1998

In article <6hsgmb$lf5$1 at>,
"Mdg" <Mdg at> wrote:

>Leads me to a question I always wondered about, say we hit the point where
>we can actually map a human brain to a fine enough detail that we can
>simulate it's behavior on a computer.  Will the simulation be conscious?

According to neurophysiologists Varela & Maturana consciousness is
restricted to autopoietic systems - which by definition produce their own
organization by an evolutionary process not unlike "tinkering". Seems like
the conscious computer will have to invent itself from scrap in order to
ever attain consciousness :-)