Rickert on embedded computation (was re: science of consciousness.)

Neil Rickert rickert at cs.niu.edu
Thu Apr 30 10:44:49 EST 1998

patrick at gryphon.psych.ox.ac.uk (Patrick Juola) writes:
>In article <6ia3ho$ldc at ux.cs.niu.edu> rickert at cs.niu.edu (Neil Rickert) writes:

>>In a system running Win95, there is a location in RAM where the mouse
>>pointer is stored.  The way Win95 manipulates the contents of that
>>data is by displaying information on the visible screen, and using
>>the services of the human sitting in front of that screen to move the
>>mouse around.  Then it use the codes received on the mouse port for
>>its update.  What is happening in the brain of the human operator has
>>become an essential part of the computation.

>Unfortunately, no.  The human uses the computer, and not vice versa.

That's exactly right.  And as long as we maintain your way of
thinking that will always be exactly right.  And therefore humans
will use AI systems, and not vice versa.  And thus our AI systems are
sentenced to always be no more than unintelligent slaves.  In short,
with your mindset, the AI problem is and will forever remain
unsolvable.

>Any programmer who routes a "part of the computation" through the
>I/O channel as anything other than a source of random numbers is,
>well, crazy.

Damn.  Then those MRI scanners must just be using random numbers.
Surely it would be cheaper to leave the human out of the picture, and
just use a random number generator to feed the MRI software.