Chapter One: What Is A Meme?

Underdog blueoak at sprintmail.com
Sat Aug 15 07:12:42 EST 1998

Arthur T. Murray wrote:

> Marshall Paul <abelard at gte.net> on Thu Aug 13 1968+30 wrote:
>
> > Arthur T. Murray wrote in message << a bunch of stuff>>
> > So, now define <<grok>>.
> > Marshall
>
>   We are jumping the gun on Chapter Eight: Advanced Memetic Tech-
>   niques in http://www.scn.org/~mentifex/taotmeme.html The Art of
>   the Meme, but let us all thank Marshall Paul for his question.
>
>   A Prince, if he wishes to spread His memes most stealthily and
>   effectively among the Netizens, will include thereunder some
>   few proleptic points of departure, thus engendering a rush and
>   scramble of the avant-garde intelligentsia for their wordbooks
>   and dictionaries. Finding not the Princely, nay, Arthurian, en-
>   igma 'neath the rubric of OED or Merry I Am Webster, the best
>   and the brightest will broadcast the quizzery and yea memery:
>
>   /^^^^^^^^^^^\ The (default) Standard Mind Model /^^^^^^^^^^^\
>  /visual memory\           memetic  ________     /  auditory   \
> |      /--------|-------\  memory  / syntax \   |episodic memory|
> |      |  recog-|nition |          \________/---|-------------\ |
> |   ___|___     |       |              |        |    _______  | |
> |  /image  \    |     __V___        ___V___     |   /stored \ | |
> | / percept \   |    / meme \------/lexical\----|--/ phonemes\| |
> | \ engrams /---|---/concepts\----/concepts \---|--\ of words/  |
> |  \_______/    |   \________/    \_________/   |   \_______/   |
>
>   See to it, oh Prince, that You not simply answer yonder inquiry
>   (no, cloak Your reply within truly Churchillian riddles wrapped
>   in puzzles alike the Soviet enigma) cautiously not exceeding the
>   frustration boundary of the never-IQ-challenged, thus delighting
>   their eternal search for the worthy and the grokkable informazione.
>
>   For "to grok" (as erudite Netizetti will rush to Respighi) means
>  "to understand," not only on Bald Mountain but also on Sol-4 Mars.
>
>   Invite Your accidental memeticists to consider co-authoring (and
>   toto-publishing) your Donaldesque Art of the Meme, in order that
>   in Princely fashion You may truly "Trump" such pamphleteers as
>   Aaron Lynch and Richard Brodie, writers all on the meme bandwagon.
>
>   http://virus.lucifer.com/archive.96/1998.html Mentifex Meets Brodie
>   will sugar-plum Your tutti netti with visions of book-dollarage;
>   http://www.scn.org/~mentifex/webcyc.html#powerperson will ignite
>   the fires of bravura among those who would loft Your Princely Meme.

Well, Mentiflux......

At least you are starting to be interestingly whacked instead of
boringly. This is a little more like Larry's stuff, which while hard to
follow at times, is always worth wading through for the  underlying
prize. I don't know what caused you to change your approach to getting
your message across, but it is welcome. The difference in seeking to
uncover legendary knowlege and the desire to obscure it through
Macademian recipriprocating glory holes may be just the ticket for you.
Of course, I would have kind of expected a memiticist to look at and
emulate past successful memes for what made them fly. Good luck.

Thomas