A hypothetical example...

Bob Cousins bob at lintilla.demon.co.uk
Sun Aug 16 09:21:56 EST 1998

In comp.ai, Rugrat wrote:

>Tony Johnson wrote in message <35B397A7.BF6F010D at juno.com>...
>>Mentifex wrote:
>>> Somewhere before or beyond the Millennium lies a crack in time, a
>>> fork in the ontology of conscious and intelligent beings on Earth.
>>
>>-describe to you're self in your own words, what the difference is you
>>observe between the colors blue and red...
>
>In your own words? So who here has a word they can call their own?
>
>Blue and red, firings of relevant cell arrays in LGN correspond closely with
>people's reportage of how they perceive the whole spectrum of colors. ie. We
>see these colours because our brains are made to see these colours. Human
>beings, irrespective of culture, we make similiar reports on the colour
>spectrum. The difference can now, even if still approximately, be discerned
>by the way our brain differentiates the light spectrum.
>Don't chase ghostly qualia, the neural firing is the percept.

Blue is a concept we learn to associate with light of a particular wavelength
(unless you are colour deficient), but that doesn't mean that blue *is* light of
a particular wavelength. Colour is a shared subjective experience, but
subjective all the same. A blind person may know about blue, but if you gave
them sight, would not be able to identify it without an example.

The sensory input just provides us with a fairly unique set of signals to
associate with other things. The implication is that an AI will need senses
similar to ours, in order to have an intelligence we can relate to. But even
then, it will not derive by itself the same concepts that we have. It could be
that intelligence as we define it is purely a subjective view of how we develop
to react to sensory input. An AI based on logic, may perform useful tasks, but
may never seem intelligent.

Anyway the difference between blue and red is that blue is a cool peaceful
colour, whereas red is a warm vibrant one.
--
Bob Cousins, Software Engineer.
Home page at http://www.lintilla.demon.co.uk/