Chapter One: What Is A Meme? ("grok"?)

Arthur T. Murray uj797 at victoria.tc.ca
Sun Aug 16 21:22:54 EST 1998

Marshall Paul <abelard at gte.net> on Sun, 16 Aug 1998 wrote:

> Arthur T. Murray wrote in message
> <35d47653.0 at news.victoria.tc.ca>...
>> Marshall Paul <abelard at gte.net> on Thu Aug 13 1968+30 wrote:
>>
>>> Arthur T. Murray wrote in message << a bunch of stuff>>
>>> So, now define <<grok>>.
>>> Marshall
>>
>>  We are jumping the gun on Chapter Eight: Advanced Memetic Tech-
>>  niques in http://www.scn.org/~mentifex/taotmeme.html The Art of
>>  the Meme, but let us all thank Marshall Paul for his question.

>  <<snipped the ungrokable>>  You're welcome, but could you
>  repeat that in ordinary standard English that so I won't have
>  to feel so stupid for not understanding you?

 "Grok" is a word from the science fiction writer Robert Heinlein's
  book, "Stranger in a Strange Land," about a Martian who comes to
  Earth but must live in a pool of water.

 "Grok" has an ultimate meaning of "to drink water" and a figurative
  meaning of "to understand something totally, absolutely, and without
  any smidgeon left not understood."  For example, Steve Wozniak, and
  ONLY Steve Wozniak, groks the Apple ][ Computer.  It was a direct
  metempsychosis (oh, no! here we go again) of Woz's ideas about
  computer design into das Unding, das Meisterwerk of the Apple Two.

 "Grok" is a guruvy word of the 1980's and 1990's, because people
  love to correct anyone who uses the word "grok" in any way that
  indicates anything less than total understanding.  Alles klar?