ZISC (Zero Instruction Set Computing)

Mentifex mentifex at scn.org
Mon Aug 17 08:06:45 EST 1998

Mr. Bernie Arruza <arruza at ibm.net> wrote on Sun, 16 Aug 1998:

>Hi all,
>
>Are there people doing anything interesting with this chip?
>I have a PCI board with 13 ZISC chips and I'm writing a Java
>JNI DLL that wraps the C APIs shipped with the hardware. This
>way my GUI  can be written entirely using the Java Foundation
>Classes (JFC). Since all of the work is being done in hardware
>the lack of execution speed of the language should not be a
>factor.
>
>I have several ideas for projects and a theoretical background
>in Neural Networks. Now that I have a chance to implement something
>I'm finding out that if I don't watch myself Garbage In WILL generate
>Garbage Out. I'm struggling with how my data should be normalized
>and presented to the NN hardware (how many inputs, and so on).
>
>I have the PCI card plugged into my home PC, and I'm trying a few
>project
>to see if I can come up with something useful. I can't dedicate as much
>time to this work as I would like to, but it makes for a nice hobby.
>I have collected a whole bunch of articles on Radial Basic Function
>Neural Networks' theory and their applications. It would be nice to hear
>from others that are actually doing work with this chip.
>
>Bernie Arruza
>IBM Manufacturing Technology Center
>Boca Raton, Fl
>
>Ian Kemmish wrote:
>>
>> In article <35d04383.0 at news.victoria.tc.ca>, mentifex at scn.org says...
>>
>> >Now there is http://www.fr.ibm.com/france/cdlab/zisc.htm ZISC, or
>> >Zero Instruction Set Computing, in the form of a neural-net chip.
>> [...]

Now grok this:  Everyone whose workspace/office is actually a major
thoroughfare of passersby, please PRINT OUT and POST the above plea.

Forget-meme-not: http://www.scn.org/~mentifex/webcyc.html#immortcyborg :

  Hearing    Vision    Concepts Volition Emotion   Motor Output
 /iiiiiii\  /!i!i!i!\                             /YYYYYYYYYYYY\
| ||||||| || ||||||| |   T                       | |||||||||||| |
| ||||||| || | ___ | |   +                       | |||||||||||| |
| ||||||| ||  /old\  |   +                       | |S|||||||||| |