Thin-film microelectrode (Neurotechnology) reviews

Danny Banks banks at embl-heidelberg.de.REMOVE_TO_REPLY
Fri Aug 28 16:37:16 EST 1998

This is just a little plug for thin-film microelectrodes again, for
applications in neuroscience and neural prosthetics.

Although I have left the field and do not have enough time to update
my bibliography, there have recently been a number of reviews published
in the field. I have added the following references to a "Neurotechnology
reviews" page, which you can access from the main bibliography page:

http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/D.Banks/bibs.html

The older review papers are included for completeness (?). If you get
hold of some of the more recent ones, you should be off to a good start
with getting up to date.

I hope I have not missed something important - I do not have all the
papers with me at present.

Danny.

IEEE Spectrum Magazine, special issue on "Toward an artificial eye", May 1996.

IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Magazine, special issue in advances
in vision research, 14 (1), January / February 1995.

D Banks. "Neurotechnology", IEE Engineering Science and Education Journal,
7 (3), pp 135-144, 1998.
[e-mail for a reprint]

P Heiduschka, S Thanos. "Implantable Bioelectronic Interfaces for Lost Nerve
Functions", Progress in Neurobiology, 55, pp 433-461, 1998.

J Kruger. "Simultaneous Individual Recordings from many Cerebral Neurons;
Techniques and Results". Rev. Physiol. Biochem. Pharmacol., 98, pp 177-233,
1983.

K Najafi. "Micromachined systems for neurophysiological applications",
chapter 9 in: P Rai-Choudhury (ed.), "Hand book of Microlithography,
Micromachining, and Microfabrication", volume 2, SPIE Press / IEE, p 517-569,
1997.

K Najafi. "Solid State Microsensors for Cortical Nerve Recordings", IEEE
Eng. in Med. & Biol. Magazine, June / July 1994, pp 375-387.

A Pedotti, M Ferrerin, J Quintern, R Reiner, (eds). "Neuroprosthetics: from
Basic Research to Clinical Application", Springer, 1996.

RS Pickard. "A Review of Printed Circuit Microelectrodes and their Production".
J. Neurosci. Meth., 1, pp301-318, 1979.

T Stieglitz, J.-Uwe Meyer. "Microtechnical interfaces to neurons", in:
A Manz, H Becker (eds.), "Microsystem Technology in Chemistry and Life
Sciences", Springer-Verlag, p 131-162, 1998.

Danny Banks.                                            banks at embl-heidelberg.de
http://www.embl-heidelberg.de/~banks/