Mind.forth Programming Journal: 2 DEC 1998

Mentifex mentifex at scn.org
Wed Dec 2 21:05:54 EST 1998

DEBUGGING THE EXAMINE SCREEN #17

Today for about three hours  we have just had one of our most in-
tense Mind.forth programming sessions ever.   Simply stated,  our
quest was to track down the variable "r"  for "recall-vector" and
find out why it was not being  displayed  properly  as a concept-
flag in EXAMINE Scr #17.

We had to track back through all manipulations of the variable "r"
in Mind.forth and even back to the  genesis  of the recall-vector
in the original 26.Nov.1994 Amiga Mind.rexx source code.  Eventu-
ally we discovered the laughably simple problem: You must not use
the "fetch" instruction "@" with the index value "I" when cycling
through a  Forth  array.  As a result, solving the problem of the
recall flag "r" made all the other flags also display properly.

Along the way,  we tightened up many things within the public do-
main source code and we made Mind.forth much easier to work with,
mainly by ostensibly  cross-indexing  all possible jumps or calls
within the program source code.

For separate but related Web pages, we also began writing the com-
ment text for VARIABLES Scr #2, SHORTTERMMEM Scr #13, and SENSORI-
UM Scr #15.  The "AI in 30K" Mind.forth will be too dense and com-
pact to contain its own comments,  so each screen of  Forth  code
will have its own associated Web page of explanation and comments,
but without the space limitations inherent in the program itself.

--
http://www.scn.org/~mentifex/ The Mindmaker Project: AI for Robots
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Agora/7256/m-forth.html Mind.forth