cell death in Korsakoff syndrome

pelorus at coastalnet.com pelorus at coastalnet.com
Thu Dec 3 20:25:17 EST 1998

I haven't kept up with the literature in these areas in several years, having
gotten away from the study of membrane energetics in model membranes and more
into geology and paleomagnetics.  Yeah, what a switch!

I do know, however, that the membranes surrounding mast cell granules contain
thiamin-specific phosphatases.  Histologists utilize this integral membrane
protein to chelate lead used in labelling work for electron microscopy.  This
enzyme regulates the histamine specific transporter, a proton-pumping ATPase
that maintains the inner compartment of the granules at an acidic pH.  It is
this proton gradient that traps histimine and other molecules (specifically
large concentrations of thiamin) inside the granules.  Maybe they aggregate in
these regions to dump thiamin in these thiamin deficient areas.

Robert D. Brown, MD