cell death in Korsakoff syndrome

pelorus at coastalnet.com pelorus at coastalnet.com
Sat Dec 5 06:09:17 EST 1998

In article <747m44$rq at dfw-ixnews10.ix.netcom.com>,
  flefever at ix.netcom.com(F. Frank LeFever) wrote:

> There must be SOME STORY behind that mind-boggling switch!  Anyway,
> thanks for your "old" info; it's new to me and will give me much to
> think about--maybe send me to a different lit search.  For starters,
> have you a source you could cite??
>
> F. LeFever

Frank,

I do not have any specific references and would have to look under a decade
of my personal rubble to find them.  Peter Mitchell won the 1978 Nobel Prize
in Medicine & Physiology (I think that was the year and category) for his
development of chemiosmotic theory, the description of the way proton
gradients power energy-linked processes in membranes.  Mitchell had largely
worked with the inner mitochondrial membrane, but others used his model of
oxphos to study transport processes in every sort of membrane.	Papers by
Harvey Pollard and others by Robert Johnson dealt mostly with uptake
mechanisms in serotonergic chromaffin granules and brain synaptic vesicles.
In their later papers you will find references to WBC lyzosomes and mast cell
granule membranes. I have also published maybe a half dozen papers (all
theoretical) re thiamin's organic chemistry in membranes.  Just to show you
how fat my butt is, those exact references are in the same pile of debris and
I just don't have the time to find them now.

Of interest from a historical perspective is that funding for membrane
energetics research almost died after Mitchell won his Nobel.  Today, the
theory he developed is almost unheard of outside subspecialty labs.

There is an incredible story about my switch from biochemistry to matters
relating to abiogenesis, but not now....

Robert D. Brown, MD