can someone answer my question?

James Howard jmhoward at sprynet.com
Sat Dec 5 09:54:49 EST 1998

I developed the following some time ago to explain consciousness.  I think
this may be the most basic level at which consciousness begins.

"Consciousness occurs when evolution requires one brain system to control
another. That is, consiciousness occurs when one system has to note when a
behavior occurs that needs to be stopped; no longer automatic in all
systems. The best example is the control of our appetites by the advanced
forebrain. In that some higher animals appear to be able to do this to some
degree, they exhibit some form of consciousness."
James Howard