Requesting a Gift Idea

kkollins at pop3.concentric.net kkollins at pop3.concentric.net
Sun Dec 6 00:38:29 EST 1998

harryking at my-dejanews.com wrote:

> Does anyone have a good idea for a holliday gift
> for someone interested in the sciences?

Get 'em a fine-metering valved pipette, a stand for the pipette and a
bottle of Johnson's Baby Shampoo.

Have 'em mount and fill the pipette with shampoo, and let it stand for as
long as it takes for the bubbles to "go away". Then, have 'em get out a
glass bowl crank open the pipette's valve just enough to allow a fine,
hair-like flow of shampoo run into the bowl.

What you'll see is a macroscopic "atom", replete with what appear to be
"quantal" events, but which are actually "just" the one, Continuous,
flow-dynamic.

When they ask, "So what?", tell 'em that you've given them The Future. ken
collins

[P. S. I think there's still a longer version of "this" discussion over in
sci.techniques.xtallography.] ken collins