(none)

RonBlue rcb5 at MSN.COM
Sun Dec 6 13:10:43 EST 1998

"According to a book I
read last Christmas (the chapters on neuroscience anyway)
the spinal cord provides a very large portion of the processing
required by many insects.  I asked a recent Ph.D. in neuroscience
about this and he claimed it was nonsense.  Since then, I've
often wondered how extensive are the processing capabilities
of the spinal cord.  I haven't seem much mention of this in
any books (other then discussions relating to reflexes) but
I haven't performed any systematic searches for this information,
either.  (I'll have to correct that error in the near future.)"

The function of education is to indoctrinate students with the current
estimated of the truth and hope they will expand the knowledge base.
The weight of our current experiences locks us into the "truth"
which we then proclaim to future students.   A degree is no guarantee
that "educated truth" will prevent us and others from discovering the truth.

I have said many stupid things like your friend and will say many more
in my life.  The important think is keeping the lines of communication
open and pursuing knowledge.

In terms of number of neurons the current estimate is that the
brain has the most, the gut system has the next highest number, and
then the spinal cord would have the least.

Notice the spinal cord connects the two "brains" together.
The spinal cord can learn, the gut can learn, and the brain can learn.
An autonomous behavior or motor movement is usually separated from
the conscious system.   For example when you are walking think about
every step and plan it and you will quickly know what I am talking about.

Ron Blue