Retrograde/Anterograde Labeling

kkollins at pop3.concentric.net kkollins at pop3.concentric.net
Sun Dec 6 19:05:57 EST 1998

> Ben Godde wrote:

[...]

> > Is the occurence of new labelling patterns (labelling based on
> > retrograde or anterograde axonal transport) after plastic cortical
> > reorganization a proof of the emergence or sprouting of axons.
> >
> > This questions referes to the work of S Florence and J Kaas
(Science,
> > this month), showing abnormal labelling patterns in arm amputated
> > monkeys, revealing new (functional OR anatomical OR both ??)
> > intracortical connections over several millimeters.
>
> I'll get the ref and then comment further... to guard against the
possibility that
> I've been talking "apples" when you asked, "What about 'oranges'" :-)

I went to the Library where I (rarely, these days) read, but only the
13Nov98 issue of _Science_ was in the stacks... can anyone give me the
specific ref to the article, above?

If not, I'm gonna "bag it"... I don't have "time" for "wild-goose"
chases... which, in my current "state", is how I view asking me to deal
with something in a ref without giving the ref's "address"... I'm
working on hundreds of thousands of things. I don't "make a big deal of
such" (I believe this is the first "time" I've ever mentioned such)...
the way I work stems from how things went when I was in grad school... I
worked hard... got blown-off... so I Chose to just continue working...
and I've been carring hundreds of thousands of things forward ever
since... I can't do the "Vulcan mind meld", and just "transfer" the
understanding into folks' minds... all I can do, online, is discuss a
=few= of the things I've reified while "rampaging" through the stacks
decades ago.

If folks haven't worked in the stacks, commensurately, all I can do is
what I'm doing... I can't even begin to rehash, via online msgs, all of
the data I've taken in... I achieved Closure decades ago... after that,
my Obligation was Clear... Explore, and Describe the "Closed" thing...
that's the only thing I've been doing for the past 15 years.

So if anyone wants me to deal with something, =give= the precise ref...
it rent my Spirit to be running around in the Library looking for a
journal issue that was unknown to me.

This sort of rx to my having Given all that a Man can Give cuts like a
ragged-edged knife. I'm working =constantly=... I allow myself only
15-30 minutes/day to just "relax" by "visiting" a voice filled with
Genius after I say my evening Prayers... the rest of my Life's "time" is
=Given= to the work... and I'm always "multitasking" with respect to
such.

If folks "do not understand", whether because of "nomenclature", or
whatever, folks need only make an in-person presentation opportunity
available, and all such "difficulties" will be bridged in short-order...
(all "nomenclature" "problems" stem directly from the fact that I
discovered or invented the concepts to which they refer while doing the
synthesis... =NOT=, as folk've implied, that I do not understand that
the nomenclature I use is unfamiliar to folks other than myself... how
could it be otherwise? The concepts have not been reified outside of my
work.

If anyone wonders, "why =this=, now?", it's because I've stepped-back, a
bit, and analyzed what's transpired, and saw that folks were elevating
trivialities to "first-importance", and asserting that I've "not asked
in good-faith"... that I've "transgressed" by not "taking folks by the
hand", to walk them through the details of the understanding... but
that's not it... it's just that I've worked at a sprinter's pace for
nearly three decades, full-knowing that I was racing ahead of folks... I
did the work... and I've been working in the reified understanding for
the past two decades... doing such is where my Obligation is, isn't it?

Yes.

The resulting understanding is =Huge=. It cannot be "magically"
communicated, in a few online msgs, to folks who didn't do the work...
but its essence =can= be Communicated via an in-person presentation,
because, since I work diagrammatically, the capacity of powerful visual
mechanism, to take-in information "as a flood", can be put to excellent
use.

Beyond this, my Obligation includes preserving the understanding for the
folks for whom the work was done... to accomplish this, I'm Obliged to
do what must be done without "giving" the folks who "see" only "profits"
opportunity to do more Forced-Withholding of the understanding from the
folks for whom the work was done.

I've witnessed so much Abject-Cruelty during these 29 years... all
directed against the folks for whom the work was done... and me... part
of this circumstance is that the folks who should've done this work,
long ago, are Covering-Up the fact that their "idea" of "doing science"
had more to do with "sucking-up" to funding agencies, and having
cocktails at conferences, than doing real Work... so the work had been
left undone... and, inherent in what I've done, is the "exposure" of all
that. But "good"-grief, it's old-long-since that I gave my Word of Honor
that I'd "go away" =after= the understanding is Communicated to those
for whom the understanding was developed... can't anyone See, in all of
my discussions of the dynamics of Forgiveness, that I was just saying
that, "I =Understand="? Why does anyone think I saw that I'd just have
to "go away" =after= the understanding's communicated? I'll "go away" so
that =only= what's important need be given any attention... I don't care
about all the Jackass-stuff that I've encountered... folks were Blind...
they "knew not what they did"... the thing to do with respect to such is
to Forgive.

But I'll tell you, what I've witnessed this time around, stretches one's
ability to Forgive because it's all been so replete with hardly anything
other than folks striving =only= to "cover-their-butts"... and such is a
Sorrow.

Forgive =me= this... because I was Taught, by my Parents, =Not= to make
a "big deal" out of things that I do, perhaps I've Failed to allow folks
to understand... other than the 15-30 minutes/day I give myself, I'm
=always= working as hard as a Man can work... the "stakes" are
Awesome-High with respect to the work I'm doing, and I just do it,
without "wearing any 'hair-shirt'" that'd Impose unseemly stuff upon
folks... if folks Choose not to Understand, not only can I do nothing
about that, I =Must= Guard folks Free Wills to Choose thusly.

All the "whining" that's been folks' "response" to the work, Discloses
Choice to me.

Seeing such, I can only Guard Free Will, while endeavoring to find some
other way to Communicate the Understanding to the folks for whom it was
developed.

When will all this "moving away from" that which is our
Professed-Responsibility =Cease=?

K. P. Collins