Fw: can someone answer my question?

Walter Eric Johnson wej3715 at fox.tamu.edu
Mon Dec 7 00:49:04 EST 1998

kkollins at pop3.concentric.net wrote:
: Walter Eric Johnson wrote:
:
: > : > kkollins at pop3.concentric.net wrote:
: > : > : This is, Verifiably, B. S. 100% of the nervous system is involved in 100% of all
: > : > : neural-activation "states"... if it were not so, "quiescent" neural "activation"
: > : > : would interfere with convergence, and, to the degree of such, "convergence" would
: > : > : have observable "holes" in it... which is what =all= lesion studies Verify.
: > : >
: > : > Please explain what you mean by the above.  What is this "convergence"
: > : > that you mention?
: > :
: > : "Convergence" is the opposite of "divergence"... invoke "common sense"... in Maths, a
: > : function's "convergence" refers to it's "solvability"... is there one answer, several,
: > : many, or none (including infinite "solutions")
: >
: > In mathematics, you could have an infinite number of solutions and yet
: > converge to only one of them.
:
: In my prior post I had in mind "infinite series"... if an infinite series doesn't converge,
: it cannot be reduced to an equation, which is the "solution" to which I was referring. What
: you refer to with your "infinite number of solutions" (and which I totally-forgot to mention
: in my prior post, because I've experienced "convergence" being relevant with respect to such,
: except in numerical analysis, which, when one looks, is seen to be  infinite-series stuff)
: are "equations"... and an "equation" is the =single= "solution" which maps all possible
: correlations within a "defined field of numbers"... an "equation" is either such a =single=
: "Solution", or it's nothing. Your "infinite number of solutions" is B. S. An infiniite number
: of anything is "just" Infinity... without additional info, Infinity is equivalent to Nothing,
: be-cause it gives exactly zero info on "where to look".

How many solutions does cos(x)=0 have?

: Kind of like what you've been posting to me, Mr. Robot Responder.
:
: > There is nothing about convergence that demands there be only one answer.
:
: Ho, ho, ho :-)

Apply Newton's method to the function f(x)=x^2 - 25.  Select a value
x0=6 and it will converge to the value x=5 (f(5)=0).  Select a value
of x0=-6 and it will converge to the value x=-5 (f(-5)=0).  You have
the same function but it converges to two different solutions based
on your starting value.

For more fun, use Newton's method to find zeros of f(x)=sin(x).  There
are a countably infinite number of solutions.

: If there's not =One Answer= there's =No= Convergence.

See the above.

For a series, convergence implies a single answer.  But you were
talking about solving an equation.

: ... <much useless bs shipped>
: When you =Stop= your Murdering of Innocents.

You're really off the deep end now.

: To the Operators of this "robot responder": Take this matter =Seriously=. I Mean =Exactly=
: what I've posted in the preceding sentence... your machine is B. S. ...you folks will have
: Murdered thousands before the dust settles. Disconnect your Pitifully-Inept machine, and
: Apologize to everyone here in bionet.neuroscience, or the place where you're doing your
: little "experiment" stands to Lose =Everything=. K. P. Collins

You're an even bigger bozo than I thought.  FWIW, my primary e-mail
address is robots at tamu.edu.  There is no "robot responder".

Eric Johnson