Fw: can someone answer my question?

Walter Eric Johnson wej3715 at scully.tamu.edu
Mon Dec 7 20:45:37 EST 1998

kkollins at pop3.concentric.net wrote:
: Walter Eric Johnson wrote:
:
: > How many solutions does cos(x)=0 have?
:
: One talks about "solving" a function for its x-axis intersections, but "zeroes" of a function are
: not "Solutions" to the function... they are Solutions to a =specific subset= of a function's
: domain, determined by both the function's general Solvability =and= the value of the independent
: variable... in the above, "x"... the =Solution" to a function is the function, itself, Proven for
: all values of its independent variable(s)... there's always just one of these. Proven functions are
: numerical-domain "maps"... given such a function, one can find one's way within the numerical
: domain with respect to which the function has been Proven... just as one can use a regular
: topographical map to find one's way
:
: [...]

Are you really sure that you're an expert in Math?  I mean this is no
more than college algebra.  And to top it off, your explanation makes
little or no mathematical sense at all.

Just in case you were gone that day in your days before becoming an
expert in Math, I'll attempt to explain it:

If you have an equation that you wish to solve, for example, g(x)=h(x),
you are trying to find those values of x for which g(x)=h(x).  Those
values of x for which the expression is true are called the "solutions".
So if g(x)=h(x), you can define a function f(x)=g(x)-h(x).  Then those
values of x for which g(x)=h(x) also result in f(x)=0.  Thus, the solutions
of the equation g(x)=h(x) are the values of x for which f(x)=g(x)-h(x)=0.
In other words, when you are solving the equation g(x)=h(x), you are
finding the zeros of the function f(x)=g(x)-h(x).

Now wasn't that easy?  And it didn't take any private buzzwords to
explain, either.

: I stand on what I've posted... Clearly, there is a "Robot Responder", and just as Clearly, the
: "goals" inherent in the Programming of that "Robot Responder are Inverted with respect to Truth. K.
: P. Collins
:
: [to ALL: I =Apologize= that all of this is occurring in your Electronic Presence. K. P. Collins]

Look at it this way, you were posting bunches of messages a day.  Now
you're posting a whole lot less messages to have to weed through.  That's
what I call improvement.

Eric Johnson