processing capability of the spinal cord

Walter Eric Johnson wej3715 at scully.tamu.edu
Mon Dec 7 22:54:50 EST 1998

Richard Norman (rsnorman at mw.mediaone.net) wrote:
: Walter Eric Johnson wrote in message <74fr3c$l4l$1 at news.tamu.edu>...
: >Richard Norman (rsnorman at mw.mediaone.net) wrote:
: >: The Babinski reflex is different -- a normal response requires
: >: an intact pyramidal system, that is, motor cortex.  It would go
: >: along with the rest of the brain.
: >
: >Is the Babinski reflex processed by the brain?  I think it is one
: >of the first reflexes to come back after a complete spinal cord
: >transection -- in as little as two weeks.
: >
: >Eric Johnson
:
: It depends what you mean by Babinski reflex.  A positive sign
: indicates upper motor neuron - corticospinal tract problems,
: therefore spinal function without the "brain".

I obviously need to go back and learn a little more about it.

Eric Johnson