A.I. Robots: Are we doomed?

Brett Evill b.evill at spamblocker.tyndale.apana.org.au
Wed Dec 9 18:47:05 EST 1998

In article <366EA71A.F28D8F38 at nospam.com>, Leif Bloomquist
<leifb at nospam.com> wrote:

>D Herring wrote:
>
>> The beauty with robots is that they are controlled by computers--and we
>> all know that the most popular OS is Windows9x.
>> Therefore, we have been saved from robots taking over the world simply
>> because their "brains" will always be crashing.
>

>"Quick!  The Robots are revolting!   Somebody Telnet to port 135 and
>type a few characters!!!!"    (<---How to crash WinNT prior to SP3)
>

>On a serious note, though, I have to constantly explain to people WHY we
>don't have Microsoft products controlling our 50-ton robots.

I read (in the November 1998 Scientific American, page 26) that the US
Navy *does* have MicroSoft products controlling (at least some of) its
guided missile frigates (Windows NT, to be precise). Be afraid, be very
afraid.

In September last year a system crash immobilised USS Yorktown for more
than two hours. The Navy blames Bill Gates' political friends for foisting
a wholly inappropriate operating system onto them. MicroSoft says that it
wasn't NT that caused the problem. The Navy Department says that it is
committed to using NT, come what may.

--
Brett Evill

To reply by e-mail, remove 'spamblocker.' from <b.evill at spamblocker.tyndale.apana.org.au>