minds and brains

Aaron Bearchief abearchi at calcna.ab.ca
Wed Dec 9 23:14:32 EST 1998

On Wed, 9 Dec 1998, Ray Scanlon wrote:

> their heart's content. Our position for purposes of brain explanation is
> that there is soul (mind) but it has no part to play in a material account
> of brain action.

Medical science is replete with examples of patients having affected the
outcomes of bodily processes.  A cursory study of neuroimmunology should
demonstrate this.  We may be discounting (too quickly?) the value in the
mind's ability to provide proactive feedback to the biochemical processes.

Perhaps an "artificial" system with such a proactive feedback loop could
be better termed "virtual" intelligence...?