minds and brains

Doug do at not.spam
Fri Dec 11 00:42:58 EST 1998

Personally I've always suspected that the brain is a huge
bio-based statisitical computer specifically made for
continually doing statistical correlations in parallel,
multiple inputs at once.  And from this point of view,
the "mind" or the thing that is "you" or "me" is doing
continual statistical autocorrelations.  Guess I'm just
convinced that the best explaination to date is a form
of mathmatical statistics.

Correlating/autocorrelating, layer upon layer.  Somehow it
all manages to come out as a train of thinking, a stream of
consciousness.

At the soma level, it's all discrete incredibly complex
multidimensional processes.  At the global level, it
appears to us as continuous.

I also believe that actual memory is functional. The memory
of an event localized in your brain is in pieces. Some of
them even disconneted.  But, "remembering" operates something
like a huge error correcting algorithm filling in the pieces.
People with better memory than others (aside from some obvious
biological or pathological causes) simply have some sort of
better/more efficient error algorithms, processes that fill
in the pieces better; down at the soma/synaptic level.