Does anyone know what orthostatic intolerance is???

krand at krand at
Fri Dec 11 14:49:47 EST 1998

In <fNDb2.447$tI2.648 at>, on 12/09/98
   at 11:33 PM, "William Byrd" <wrbyrd at> said:

>> She has been told that she has a

Long term diabetics often suffer from one or more forms of autonomic
neuropathy: cardiac, gastropathy, orthostatic, etc.  The general term
autonomic neuropathy is often used because they seldom occur alone. Until
recently there was no therapy, especially for the cardiac form which has a
dim prognosis. A recent paper in Diabetes (1996-7) reports successful
treatment for the cardiac form with the anti-oxidant alpha lipoic acid.
This with double blind clinical trials in Germany. Don't have a specific
reference at hand but look for the DEKAN study, Griese one of the authors,

Any chance the patient has undiagnosed Type 2 diabetes? Often years before
that is diagnosed.

                                        K. Randolph
<krand at>