Spike initiation in central neurones

Hannah Dvorak-Carbone hdvorak at cns.caltech.edu
Fri Dec 11 13:31:35 EST 1998

In article <74pvvj$mc1$1 at pegasus.csx.cam.ac.uk>, aao20 at hermes.cam.ac.uk says...

>Hi guys,
>Does anyone have information on current research (i.e 1yr old or less) that
>produced results that have thrown further light on the site of action
>potential initiation in mammalian central neurones? I am doing a critical
>review on a paper that discusses this topic and I need current information.

If you haven't seen it already, you may want to check out: Kamondi, A., Acsády,
L., and Buzsáki, G. 1998. Dendritic spikes are enhanced by cooperative network
activity in the hippocampus. Journal of Neuroscience 18:3919-3928.  This paper
uses recordings from hippocampal pyramidal cell dendrites in vivo to look at
spike initiation sites, among other things.

>Also, does anybody out there know how to go about structuring a critical
>review?

Is this a paper that you're reviewing for publication?  If so, the journal that
sent it to you should have provided guidelines.  Basically, the reviews I've
seen include a summary of the main message of the paper and an opinion on
whether or not the data support the message and whether the results would be of
interest to the readers of that journal, followed by major concerns/criticisms
(e.g. the data in figure xx do not support the point made in the discussion on
page yy), followed by minor criticisms (e.g. you should also reference
such-and-such paper when you make this particular point).

Hope that helps.

- Hannah Dvorak-Carbone