Spike initiation in central neurones

kkollins at pop3.concentric.net kkollins at pop3.concentric.net
Fri Dec 11 22:15:08 EST 1998

Matt Jones wrote:

> In article <74pvvj$mc1$1 at pegasus.csx.cam.ac.uk> Koye,
> aao20 at hermes.cam.ac.uk writes:
> >Hi guys,
> >Does anyone have information on current research (i.e 1yr old or less) that
> >produced results that have thrown further light on the site of action
> >potential initiation in mammalian central neurones? I am doing a critical
> >review on a paper that discusses this topic and I need current information.
> >
> >Also, does anybody out there know how to go about structuring a critical
> >review?
> >
> >Any information sent (to aao20 at cam.ac.uk) will be greatly appreciated.
> >
> >Thanks a lot,
> >Koye
> >

> Hi Koye,
>
> Well, most importantly, don't listen to anything "kkollins" tells you
> about "Rigorously-Topologically-Correlated extra-cellular space of
> dendritic tree and soma". That's all meaningless bullshit, in my humble
> opinion.

I stand on what I posted.

> But I did recently see a talk that is relevant to your question.
> Dan Johnston has been studying the distributions (i.e., local densities)
> and kinetics of voltage-gated channels in hippocampal neurons for some
> time.

"Voltage-gated channels" get their gating-voltages from the ionic
conductances.

> In his talk, he stated that there was no obvious region of very
> high sodium channel density in the early segments of CA1 (I think) neuron
> axons. In other words, there was no evidence for the classical "spike
> initiation zone" in the axon hillock of these neurons. Presumably then,
> the spike is generated in the soma itself.

The major contribution derives in the "passive spread" of dendritic
trees and soma (which =of course= is influenced by active
ionic-conductance dynamics), and is =One= Continuous energy-flow
dynamic. K. P. Collins