What is the mind?

Walter Eric Johnson wej3715 at scully.tamu.edu
Sat Dec 12 13:55:32 EST 1998

kkollins at pop3.concentric.net wrote:
: Let's see... where to begin...?

For some reason, you remind me of someone I knew 20 years ago
who was known as Elvis.  Not Elvis Presley, but someone who claimed
to be the reincarnation of Elvis Presley.  I never could figure out
if the kid really believed it or not.  (I was also never sure if he
made that claim while Elvis Presley was still alive since I never
met him until a few months after Presley's death.)  Elvis also
claimed to be a world famous race car driver.

Those who were around Elvis much didn't like him at all.  Hearing
those crazy claims on a daily basis was just too much to stomach.
For the rest of us who saw him only occasionally, Elvis was just
a rather pathetic figure; nothing less, nothing more.  (He was
good for a laugh occasionally like the time a couple of young
coeds thought they were meeting a real race car driver.)

So Elvis who claimed to be a famous race car driver and you claim
to be an expert in physics, mathematics, and neuroscience.  Elvis
believed himself to be the reincarnation of Elvis Presley and you
claim to have a short proof of Fermat's Last Theorem.  There
doesn't seem to be much difference between Elvis and you.

Eric Johnson