What is the mind?

Phil Roberts, Jr. philrob at popd.ix.netcom.com
Sun Dec 13 00:21:18 EST 1998

floyd wrote:

> The best description I ever heard was from a the discussion following a
> lecture, where someone, whom I couldn't locate later, said "If walking is
> the foot in action, then the mind is the brain in action".  I think what
> he meant was that the mind is just what the brain does, and can't be
> described as an object.

However, there is reason to believe that what the brain does, in this
particular
instance, is non-physical, at least to the extent that you assume
physical applies to entities and events in co-ordinates of both
space and time.  None of us would even so much as think to look
for a thought or feeling employing a physical instrument.  Even
my 12 year old niece appreciates that this mind stuff looks
like it is in a category all of its own.

--

Phil Roberts, Jr.

Feelings of Worthlessness and So-Called Cognitive Science
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/5476