Bilirubin and Brain degeneration

Douglas Fitts dfitts at u.washington.edu
Sun Dec 13 07:50:01 EST 1998

segundojm at uned-valencia.net (Dr. Bernard Marx) writes:
>Could anybody tell me how Bilirubin precipitation degenerate neural
>cells? Bilirun excess in blood causes this efect, and I was not able
>no know how it manage.

Liver degeneration has multiple effects.  One is the failure to process
bilirubin, thus leading to a buildup of bilirubin in the blood and
jaundiced features. Bilirubin per se probably does not do much damage to
nerve cells.  Another effect of liver degeneration is the failure to
process ammonia properly via the Krebs-Henseleit cycle.  This leads to a
buildup of ammonia in the blood, and ammonia of course is quite toxic to
nerve cells.  There are other metabolic derangements as well, but ammonia
is probably a major culprit.

Doug Fitts