UNILATERAL NEGLECT

F. Frank LeFever flefever at ix.netcom.com
Sun Dec 13 20:07:01 EST 1998

Stupidly, he assumed he knew what the term "unilateral neglect" meant,
and when his error was pointed out his "invincible ignorance" precluded
his learning from the experience.  "Unilateral neglect" (do a Medline
search on it, please) is the term used in hundreds of
scientific/medical articles to refer to the complex phenomena of
lateralized inattention after focal neurological damage (e.g.
right-parietal stroke).  It has NOTHING to do with "child abuse" or
"child neglect".  Ignorant is ignorant.  God help the child that
depends on such a stupid "protector"!

F. LeFever

In <3671FE2D.F36D8CD at pop3.concentric.net> kkollins at pop3.concentric.net
writes:

>Oh yeah... what you say, too :-)
>
>But I stand on what I posted, Mr. Frank... Neglect is commonly one-way
>in the dynamics of Child Abuse... then, as the Child matures, and the
>generalized passive-active phase shift (sensory-template-dominant to
>motor-template-dominant phase shift) gains ascendency (AoK, Ap5, Ap7,
>Ap8), the Geometry of behavior "inverts", the "adult" replicates the
>abusive dynamics... an entirely-within-the-control-of-Neuroscience
>Tragedy, Perpetuated, Needlessly... Sorrowfully. K. P. Collins
>
>F. Frank LeFever wrote:
>>
>> Another particularly cruel (and stupid) joke from kkollins who
>> apparently knows nothing at all about unilateral neglect but doesn't
>> hesitate to reply on the basis of his own private fantasies.
>>
>> n.b.: I have presented some of my own research on unilateral neglect
at
>> meetings of the American Academy of Neurology (Boston,April 1991),
>> International Neuropsychological Society & Australian Society for
Study
>> of Brain Impairment (Broadbeach, Australia, July 1991), and two more
>> meetings of INS (San Diego, 1992; Durham, England, July 1992).
>>
>> (1) Unilateral neglect has nothing to do with "sensory deprivation"
>> studies (such as were fashionable 40 years ago); it is a
neurological
>> condition, usually arising from stroke, particularly right
hemisphere
>> stroke, and especially right parietal cortex (sometimes from frontal
or
>> subcortical sites, relatively rarely from left-hemisphere sites).
>>
>> (2) Unilateral neglect is not a sensory "deprivation" or "loss", but
>> may better be described as "unilateral inattention".  It may affect
>> more than one perceptual domain (e.g. visual, auditory,
somatosensory)

kkollins at pop3.concentric.net