Menier's Syndrome

Didier A. Depireux didier at Glue.umd.edu
Mon Dec 14 16:31:47 EST 1998

Kathleen Driscoll (Kathleen.Driscoll at YALE.EDU) wrote:
: Can you please supply information on this problem, what research is
: being conducted, long term prognosis. Please reply by email or post.

You probably mean Meniere's disease, with a bunch of accents (so that would
be M'eni`ere's. It's like those French!), a common syndrome, especially of
the aged. While its causes are not known for certain, it's generally agreed
that it's due to transient pressure changes in the endolymph, the liquid
that circulates in your ear. There's a shunt to the brain, which can be
seen in the second figure of my favorite introduction to cochlear fluids at
http://oto.wustl.edu/cochlea/intro1.htm : I once read that it's thought that
Meniere is due to a blocking of this narrow shunt to the cerebro-spinal
fluid, but I don't know whether it's generally agreed upon, or just one
guy's theory. Meniere usually leads to partial deafness and in a lot of
cases to vertigo and tinnitus.

That I know of, the best page on Meniere is http://oto.wustl.edu/men/ , and
if it's not good enough for you it has a lot of links. That's as much as
you can expect from the net...

				Hope this helps, somehow,

						Didier

Didier A Depireux                              didier at isr.umd.edu
Neural Systems Lab                 http://www.isr.umd.edu/~didier
Institute for Systems Research          Phone: 301-405-6557 (off)
University of Maryland                                -6596 (lab)
College Park MD 20742 USA                     Fax: 1-301-314-9920