UNILATERAL NEGLECT

F. Frank LeFever flefever at ix.netcom.com
Sun Dec 13 22:41:16 EST 1998

In <36746EA2.300CB041 at pop3.concentric.net> kkollins at pop3.concentric.net
writes:

>Ho, ho, ho :-)
>
>F. Frank LeFever wrote:
>>
>> Stupidly, he assumed he knew what the term "unilateral neglect"
meant,

kkollins retorts:

>But you might want to explain why it was that you were wasting your
>"time" in the 1990s replicating stuff that was already in the
textbooks
>in the 1970s :-)

Another bit of evidence (as if more were needed) that kkollins hasn't a
clue when it comes to scientific investigation.  What "stuff" did I
replicate?  (not that there is harm in replication; to the contrary,
there should be more efforts at replication)  Simply a report that
unilateral neglect exists?

Thgat is just a starting point, and I am but one of dozens of
researchers who have approached unilateral neglect from various angles
in an effort to understand the phenomenon (or phenomena) better--trying
to determine what precise neural mechanisms are critical for various
aspects of neglect, what correlates it has (cf. line bisection studies,
cf. motoric vs. sensory aspects, etc., etc.).

My own small contribution was to devise a new way of measuring it,
which had several advantages: it allowed tracing the scan path through
a visual array without thousands of dollars of eye-tracking equipment,
and it allowed detection of "fine" and "gross" neglect in one operation
(the former being neglect of small details in an object which was not
neglected, i.e. initial letter of a word, the latter being neglect of
the left half of an entire page).

It also allowed me to compare neglect of near vs. far stimuli in a way
which overcomes some of the problems of previous procedures aimed at
comparing near vs. far neglect.

It offers an alternative approach to the question of whether neglect
might be due to inability to disengage attention from an increasingly
more salient stimulus array on the right (cf. Mark VW et al., Neurology
1988;38:1225-1211, comment in LeFever FF, Neurology 1989;39:1006).

One unexpected dividend was the discovery of a systematic difference
between scan paths of normal subjects and scan paths of patients with
neglect--even those whose neglect was seemingly overcome or compensated
for.

F. Frank LeFever, Ph.D.
New York Neuropsychology Group

>> and when his error was pointed out his "invincible ignorance"
precluded
>> his learning from the experience.  "Unilateral neglect" (do a
Medline

kkollins at pop3.concentric.net
>> writes:
>> >
>> >Oh yeah... what you say, too :-)
>> >
>> >But I stand on what I posted, Mr. Frank... Neglect is commonly
one-way
>> >in the dynamics of Child Abuse... then, as the Child matures, and
the
>> >generalized passive-active phase shift (sensory-template-dominant
>> >motor-template-dominant phase shift) gains ascendency (AoK, Ap5,
Ap7,