Comments for Mind.forth AI BOOTSTRAP Scr #16

Mentifex mentifex at scn.org
Mon Dec 14 00:48:36 EST 1998

Comments for Mind.forth AI URL/screen16.html on BOOTSTRAP Scr #16.

13dec1998:  A simple English concept, expressed as a word such as
"dog," exists at three different levels in Mind.forth AI:

       mindcore        lexicon + syntax           sensorium

       psi{ }          uk{ }    LANG-UK           ear{ }

The Forth array psi{ } is the mindcore which contains primitive,
deep concepts native to all human languages.  We call it "psi{ }"
here just for the allure of the Greek letter "psi" which is the
first Greek letter in the Greek word "psyche" and which is also
commonly used in such unseemly expressions as "psi phenomena."
We lend no credence to "extrasensory perception" or "ESP"; we
simply like the term "psi" and its three-letter brevity in Forth.

In a Forthmind, the phonemic word "dog" exists only in the Forth
array ear{ } -- which holds the stream of sounds recorded in the
auditory memory channel.  Although a concept of "dog" will exist
in the mindcore array psi{ }, that conceptual node only controls
the *idea* of dog and does not hold the string of sounds "d-o-g".

When the mindcore psi{ } thinks about a dog, the core concept of
dog activates the lexical concept of dog in the Forth array uk{ },
the United-Kingdom English lexical array.  Finally, when the syn-
tax subroutine LANG-UK generates an English sentence about a dog,
the lexical concept for dog in the array uk{ } reaches over into
the auditory memory array ear{ } and activates one, or several,
or even thousands of engrams of the string of phonemes in d-o-g.

Here in Mind.forth, we are going to set up at least eight, and
possibly sixty-four (64) primitive concepts in the array psi{ }.

Unfortunately, each primitive psi{ } concept has to lead over to
its lexical concept in the English language array uk{ } and to at
least one instance of the actual word stored in the memory array
ear{ }.  Luckily, the mind software will take care of sorting out
all new concepts in all three arrays, but we, ahem, mind-makers,
(Latin "Mentifex") must laboriously decide upon the set of core
primitive concepts and hand-code them not only into the mindcore
array psi{ } but also into the English lexical array uk{ } and
finally into the auditory memory array ear{ } as a false memory.

Straight up, we may end up devoting a large chunk of the 30K code
space in Mind.forth to the arbitrary sequence of false memories
serving as a bootstrap technique for firing up the AI robot mind.
These false memories will be idiotically simple and innocuous, with
just enough idea content to establish the original concepts and
the various relationships among the concepts.  If the required
code space burgeons too large, many screens in a row will be part
of the BOOTSTRAP sequence.  Please stand by for further details,
or please do your own Mind.forth with your own set of concepts.

--
http://www.scn.org/~mentifex/ The Mindmaker Project: AI for Robots
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Agora/7256/m-forth.html Mind.forth