Scince Fair Help

F. Frank LeFever flefever at ix.netcom.com
Mon Dec 14 22:22:26 EST 1998

Matt--

Welcome back (to the newsgroup)!  I was beginning to think the Soociety
for Neuroscience meeting did you in.

Let me suggest an alternative approach: the heyday of "subliminal
perception" was long ago, and I doubt much has been happening in that
area UNDER THAT HEADING recently; however, a hot item in experimental
neuropsychology these days is "priming", and a search for this term
(with Boolean AND for things like cognition, dementia, neuropsychology,
brain function, etc., etc. to exclude other contexts) should yield
interesting stuff for you.

In the usual priming paradigm, a word or a drawing is presented under
conditions which once would have been labeled "subliminal", and its
influence on subsequent cognitive performances (e.g. recall,
recognition, word-identification, etc.) is assessed--but I'm not sure
the term "subliminal" will be among the key words or in the title or
abstract, so might be missed.  (Typical questions might be extent to
which Alzheiumers do or do not show normal priming, etc.)

F. Frank LeFever, Ph.D.
New York Neuropsychology Group