What is the mind?

John johnhkm at logicworld.com.au
Mon Dec 14 21:38:38 EST 1998

Stanley Friesen [Contractor] wrote in message
<7542ak$fd at abyss.West.Sun.COM>...
>In article <36734ECE.C09 at popd.ix.netcom.com>,
>Phil Roberts, Jr. <philrob at popd.ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>>However, there is reason to believe that what the brain does, in this
>>particular
>>instance, is non-physical, at least to the extent that you assume
>>physical applies to entities and events in co-ordinates of both
>>space and time.  None of us would even so much as think to look
>>for a thought or feeling employing a physical instrument.

It is both physical and non-physical. I don't think at present we have a
ghost of a chance of climbing that ladder from the molecules to the thought.
Concepts are non-physical, even if they may be contained within a neural
substrate (please explain!) once spoken their effect lies beyond the control
of the individual, or any other individual for that matter. This, however,
does legitimate a flight to dualism. We simply may not be smart enough yet
to understand these things. Personnally I prefer the Zen scholar's Suzuki's
lament when pondering the problem of consciousness observing itself, "The
sword cannot cut itself."

"Forever shall I be a stranger to myself."

John.