Mechanisms of hearing question

TONYJEFFS tonyjeffs at aol.com
Tue Dec 15 14:28:10 EST 1998

In article <753gqr$jqv$1 at hecate.umd.edu>, didier at Glue.umd.edu (Didier A.
Depireux) writes:

>If you really want to know all the details, they can be found in one of the
>7 "Green Books", edited by Art Popper and published by Springer-Verlag. One
>of the green books (vol 8, I think) is entitled 'The cochlea'.

Didier.

Thanks.
I'm particularly interested in your clarification of the limitations of the
system.
I'll seek out a copy of the book.
I can't understand how a sound pressure wave could survive if its amplitude was
less than brownian motion.
Some people with severe hyperacusis (a condition where normal levels of sound
are uncomfortable) can hear sounds with negative dB levels.

Thanks to all for the replies to my question.