Mechanisms of hearing question

kkollins at pop3.concentric.net kkollins at pop3.concentric.net
Mon Dec 14 23:20:20 EST 1998

=Excellent= point, Frank.

F. Frank LeFever wrote:
> [...] there has been much attention in the past couple of
> years to the idea that neural noise enhances detection of extremely
> weak signals: is this relevant to the point Dider makes about cats
> detecting signals below the level of Brownian movement?

I don't know enough about Didier's point, but "noise" is in-there,
everywhere within the neural dynamics, from spinal cord to brain,
constituting a TD E/I(up) background with respect to which TD
E/I-minimization can always occur (all of AoK, especially Ap5).

> Would this make a sufficiently "non-passive" cochlea?

I'm not Familiar with this usage.

> "P.S." after re-reading the comments below: is this what is meant by
> "unstable oscillator"?

I don't know if it's what Didier meant, but the ubiquitous outputs of
the "protopathic system" (AoK Ap3 and Ap5), Definitely makes all of what
might be referred to as "oscilators", within the nervous system,
"unstable. The TD E/I-minimization mechanisms "whittle" all this
instability back to Stability.

Work done in Physics ("Oscillons") Reifies the fundamentals I've
discussed from the perspective of Physics. Same-O-Same-O, but with the
Beauty of the Neural Topology built-right-in. ken collins