Save the Fluffies

Paul paul.kennedy1 at NOSPAMvirgin.net
Wed Dec 16 14:55:09 EST 1998

On Sun, 13 Dec 1998 21:45:59 -0600, Mary Putzer <mbutcher at execpc.com>
wrote:

>    The fact of the matter is if you add or remove any species from an ecosystem,
>it will affect it in some way.  For example, the desertification of Arizona was
>the result of the gov't enacted wolf killings.  Just how released mink affects an
>ecosystem needs to be studied.  After research is done, and only after, can one
>say how the system was changed.

Thank you for pointing that out. There's so much misinformation spread
about mink in the UK by journos looking for a story and mink-hating
interests who fail to exhibit the slightest understanding of its
natural history.

>  It may be a small change, such as one species of
>plant is reduced in number, or a huge change; such as the aforementioned
>desertification (these are only examples; I know nothing about mink).
>    I agree that the release of the mink is inappropriate.  The goal should be to
>change how non-humans animals are perceived and to get people to understand the
>evils of speciesism.  The goal is to get people who do not understand to
>understand.  The goal is not to piss off people so the speak to you with a closed
>ear.

The problem is, you have to realise what prompted the release of the
mink in the first place. It wasn't just an idea that popped up out of
the blue. It was initiated after one of the farm workers, the one
responsible for killing the mink, was found guilty of cruelty, due to
the fact that he was filmed by an undercover activist swinging them
round by the back legs and tails, smashing them against the walls and
floors, and even punching them because they bit him! Unfortunately,
the action (although freeing the mink from deliberate cruelty in the
farm) overshadowed the court case, which I believe is still ongoing
against the owners.

Paul