Mechanisms of hearing question

Becky Talyn Becky at umesci.maine.edu
Wed Dec 16 13:12:06 EST 1998

I missed the beginning of this thread, so I'm not sure what organism you are
discussing.  I do know that some animals (Drosophilids, for example) are
sensitive to the particle motion rather than the pressure wave caused by
sound.  This allows their hearing to be very sensitive, but only at very
small distances from the source.
Becky