Mechanisms of hearing question

kkollins at pop3.concentric.net kkollins at pop3.concentric.net
Wed Dec 16 19:33:24 EST 1998

[OH JOY! Good for you, Didier! K. P. Collins]

Didier A. Depireux wrote:

> : I can't understand how a sound pressure wave could survive if its amplitude was
> : less than brownian motion.
>
> That's quite a good question mind you. I have a hard time with that too!

It's got-to-be(?) a UES-Driven thing... SSW<->UES harmonics's
interference (in the fluid of the auditory receptor apparatus),
=ampliphying= the perturbations, and, therefore, =Exposing= the UES for
our Observation... HURRAH! OH JOY!

> : Some people with severe hyperacusis (a condition where normal levels of sound
> : are uncomfortable) can hear sounds with negative dB levels.
>
> Just to point out that zero dB is defined to be the minimum sound pressure
> level that can be heard by _average_ 17 year-old males with good hearing.
> It corresponds to 20 micro-Pascal rms. So it's just an arbitrary reference,
> and half of those kids had thresholds down to -3 or -4 dB (at about 3-4 kHz).

Good for you, Didier, K. P. COllins (ken)