Non-lethal weapons acting via external manipulation of the CNS

Allen L. Barker alb at datafilter.com
Thu Dec 17 07:04:56 EST 1998

The following post got such a string of bizarre and distracting replies that
I'll take that as a compliment and re-post it.

This thread has to do with the so-called non-lethal weapons, which include
microwave and acoustic antipersonnel weapons among other devices.
A common argument for such devices is that they are more humane than lethal
weapons and can make combat and riot control "cleaner."  Below I discuss that
argument and how non-lethal options tend to lower the threshold for applying
force.

--
Allen L. Barker
http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~alb