A question re LTP (was a dyslexic mistake should be LTP) during opioid-mediated or (otherwise mediated) consciousness-cancelling anaesthesia

F. Frank LeFever flefever at ix.netcom.com
Sun Dec 20 21:37:59 EST 1998

No point reading the article if you're going to blur the distinctions
between single-cell studies and whole-brain studies.  Even if one were
to equate LTP and "memorization" (which would be a serious error in and
of itself), gating inputs to a single cell is similar to what you
suggest for the whole brain only on a metaphorical sense (and maybe not
such a good metaphore at that).

There are, of course, the demonstrations of procedural learning and/or
both classical and operant conditioning in amnestic patients, who learn
with no memory of learning, but that is on a different level of
description and FAR, FAR from the phenomenon you describe.

Surely you must know this.

Are you SHITting us again?

F. Frank LeFever, Ph.D.
New York Neuropsychology Group