re- the homunculus

Dr. Alan Wheatley rawheatley at canadalane.demon.co.uk
Mon Dec 21 13:19:17 EST 1998

In message 5310, dated Sun, 13 Dec 1998, Ray Scanlon <rscanlon at wsg.net> wrote:

>(snip).......anyone who speaks of free will, invokes the
homunculus........(snip)

Speaking as a brain, I realise that I cannot directly observe the freedom
(or otherwise) of my will.  However, I can infer from my experience of
making choices that I have a free will, though the inference carries a
high degree of uncertainty.  I accept that I am hereby adopting a
philosophical position rather than making a scientific hypothesis, for I
do not know how to test the proposition experimentally.  This belief might
be classified as religion, but as no belief in God is necessarily implied,
I would doubt the value of that.  What is certain is that this line of
thought involves no invocation of the homunculus.  Brains can be just as
free as disembodied minds.  The scientist is not obliged to be a
determinist.

P.S.:- This message was not dictated!

Dr. Alan Wheatley at http://www.canadalane.demon.co.uk