Save the Fluffies. Animal Rights gets panned.

Richard F Hall realistic at seanet.com
Wed Dec 23 05:50:23 EST 1998

In article <367ddb3d.57074151 at usenet.force9.net> fried at aesops.force9.co.uk (fried) writes:
>From: fried at aesops.force9.co.uk (fried)
>Subject: Re: Save the Fluffies. Animal Rights gets panned.
>Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 06:48:58 GMT

>On Sun, 20 Dec 1998 03:31:29 MST, realistic at seanet.com (Richard F Hall)
>wrote:

>>In article <36789EA9.56C79D80 at cornell.edu> The Lord Of Lemmings
><amg39 at cornell.edu> writes:
>>>From: The Lord Of Lemmings <amg39 at cornell.edu>
>>>Subject: Re: Save the Fluffies
>>>Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 01:03:22 -0500
>>
>>The following example of house pet behavior is an example of
>>rudimentary positivism.  Kittens play with each other in the most
>>comical ways.  I have watched one chase the other around the
>>couch.  On the second or third pass, the one running behind
>>jumps over the couch and poises above the exit point of the kitten
>>being chased to pounce on it as it runs by.  Kittens have the ability
>>to be logical in this limited way.
>>
>>In some ways, humans more often seem less logical than their
>>animal counterparts.  It's almost as though the capability of greater
>>intelligence enables a greater potential for illogical considerations.

>I think your kittens example says it all. Why do you assume the kitten is
>"be[ing] logical in this limited way"? Maybe it is just anticipating a
>repeat occurrence because this has become imprinted upon its "neural
>circuits", a mere learned behaviour?

>So it may seem pure pedantry, but I don't believe the kitten is being
>logical.

Julian:

In all fairness, the kitten hasn't the slightest idea of what you are saying.
Being "logical" is a human thing if you restrict it to be that, just as
having a soul is.

But in all fairness, every creature on earth experiences
life to the extent that it has been enabled.

Some creatures experience quite
a bit more than we humans..  as a matter of fact, virtually all experience
something we don't. I thing the kitten has logic to the extent that it does.
There is a certain degree of logic that we possess because we share that
gangleon (or whatever).  Every creature is a precious miracle of G*D.

rich
http://www.seanet.com/~realistic/idealism.html
Realistic Idealism
Philosophy based on evidence