re- the homunculus

TONYJEFFS tonyjeffs at aol.com
Thu Dec 24 08:04:08 EST 1998

In article <rawheatley-2112981825120001 at canadalane.demon.co.uk>,
rawheatley at canadalane.demon.co.uk (Dr. Alan Wheatley) writes:

>  However, I can infer from my experience of
>making choices that I have a free will, though the inference carries a
>high degree of uncertainty.

We make choices, but the equation will balance even if we dont incorporate a
factor called 'free will'.  The 'free will' is unnecessary and therefore
redundant.
Any choice we make is derived from a systematic treatment of :
1. time available to complete the calculation
2. Data on hormone levels, alertness levels etc.
3. Information drawn from past experiences.
4. Processing power and individual wiring of the brain in question.

We always choose what according to the resources and data we have available,
Every choice has a logical (often imperfectly logical) basis.
Even if, for example, I yell unreasonably at my colleagues over something
trivial, there is a reason why my best response to the situation is so bad.
Processing ability is comprimised by lack of sleep so that I  cant equate all
the relevant data at the same time, and can only assimilate a small sample,  My
chemical emotional balances are hypersensitised leading to excess weight being
attributed inappropriately to certain factors and consequent over-reaction.

I see no evidence of free will in any human or computer behaviour.

Tony