re- the homunculus

kkollins at pop3.concentric.net kkollins at pop3.concentric.net
Wed Dec 23 20:39:28 EST 1998

A test of the Existence of Free Will is implicit in the discussion of
the Joy inherent in Listening to Music that I posted this evening.

The test is, can a Person refuse to experience the Joy?

Yes.

Does a Person have to refuse to experience the Joy?

No.

A Person is Free to Choose.

The fact that Choosing to refuse is more-arduous than is Choosing to
enyoy is "just" what's described by the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics
(wdb2t), which is entirely Deterministic.

Nvere-the-less, a Person can Choose not to Experience the Joy.

The Question which is actually at the heart of your post is, "Why Choose
to refuse?", which is a very-different Question than is the matter of
Free Will's Existence.

All sort's of Attempts are made, with respect all manner of Wonders, to
"demonstrate non-existence", but which are nothing more than a Person's
Choosing to Refuse to Experience the Joy of Discovery... the
"monkeywrench that's been in the gears has been folks' Choosing to
Refuse to to the Work that's =always= inherent in Discovery... folks've
"equated" this =one= Choice" with All-Possible Choice.

And be-cause that one Choice is, Verifiably, a Dictator, folks've
acquiesced to its Dictates to the point of "bannishing" Physically-Real
Free Will.

"Nothing good comes to us without having, first, cost us labor."
(paraphrase, A. Lincoln)

Cheers, Alan, ken collins