SETI Music to ETIs?

kkollins at pop3.concentric.net kkollins at pop3.concentric.net
Wed Dec 23 20:16:28 EST 1998

Hi, Ron.

Stimulated by one of Lewis Thomas's Heartfelt Essays, the Pleasure
inherent in (=really=) Listening to well-engineered Music was one of the
first things Reified within NDT.

Anyone with "normal" hearing can replicate a simple experiment that
Verifies the general stuff I'll briefly discuss.

Select =any= music having an agreed-upon intrinsic Beauty... (my
preference is for female solos, sung from the Heart)... it's best if
you're a total-stranger to the music, because, if you are, the music
will tend to not have "biological-mass" (AoK, Ap5) that's been developed
with specific respect to it... and since that's the thing that's to be
Observed, the more of it that there's "room" for, the more-possible is
easy observation.

After you've selected an album, listen to it once, and note that it will
leave you a bit "flat" (if it doesn't, put it aside and select
another... the album you've selected is just "hooking" into similar
stuff that's long-familiar to you... enjoy the album at other times,
after the experiment. Of course, select an album that "grates" only if
you're wanting to do a related, but rather-different, experiment.)

So, with an album that's received Genuine Praise from others, but which
has left you "flat", put it aside, and listen to it again in a couple of
days. Do this repeatedly, all the while, taking notes with respect to
the Notes (the song highlights) that whispily bid you, "Attend".

You'll find two main things come to exist in your notes (and the
Entertainer's Notes).

1. Your notes will become increasingly-detailed... you'll find yourself
being a bit Joyfully "Astonished" as, one after another, Fine-Things
that, in the first listening, were totally-missed, seem to "Appear out
of nowhere". In my experience, this Augmenting Understanding can go on
for weeks, months and years.

"Augmenting Understanding"?

Yes.

Look in your notes. If you've been diligent, what they are is,
literally, if a bit without the aid of measuring instruments, a Trace of
the augmenting "biological-mass" that's developed within your brain with
specific respect to the album's music.

Think about this a bit. Isn't it Wonderful? You can literally =See=, in
the increasing detail of your notes, the increasing quantity of
microscopic trophic modifications ("micromods"; "biological-mass") that
result from your brain's information-processing dynamics having been
driven by the music... I =Love= to do such... when music really touches
me, I even "doodle" the notes (just with little squiggly lines... I've
never had formal music training... music is my Free "Time")... which
leads to the next thing...

2. Get "loosened"-up enough to allow yourself to use a "smiley-face" as
an annotation... use it to note when the music gives you Joy... you'll
find your smiley-faces augment with the augmenting-detail of your notes
(it seems like "magic"... you're doing more "work", but you're,
simultaneously, having more "fun" :-) ...it's not "magic", though...
it's something far-more Wonderful than mere-"magic"... it's the
Beautiful Engineering of your brain Giving you a "Hug"... "Embracing"
you as you work :-)

Now, put the album away, and prepare your "lab notebook" by doing a
proper analysis of it's Data... cross-correlate the level of detail with
your experiencing of pleasure (I've not told you everything you'll
find).

=One= of the things you'll Discover is that certain passages in the
Music will give you augmenting Joy each "time" you Listen to them... pay
careful attention to that (=really= careful), and you'll note that the
"duration" of the Joy you experience with respect to these special
passages expands, and "creeps-forward", literally, in Anticipation of
the Experience of the special passages.

And there's the "Pay-Dirt"... Understand it. The "time"-courses of the
Joy inherent in Listening to these special passages Rigorously-Reflects
the Augmenting "biological-mass" which forms the Physically-Real
Substrate for the Augmenting detail inherent in your notes :-)

Now, get out your copies of AoK, read the discussions of "inverting-"
and "True-Reward" in Ap5 (basically, the mechanism of "curiosity", but
everything else, too, and the higher-"level" dynamics of Volition in Ap7
and Ap8)... =See=, in the Data you've collected, the =Engine= which
Transforms the first-hearing "flatness" into the many-Listenings
Exuberance... Understand the creeping Anticipatation... it is simply
this... each passage has its own "contiguity" that builds, and
subsides... and in your memory of the whole thing", these "risings" and
"fallings" are, literally, TD E/I downs and ups, respectively... as TD
E/I(down) occurs, True Reward is experienced... as TD E/I(up) occurs (as
this or that "contiguity" within the Music dissipates), inverting Reward
is experienced... and the "creeping" Joy correlates with the
Augmentation of your Knowledge of the Song be-cause, as you Learn the
Song, the "timing" inherent in your neural dynamics becomes ever-more
precise and ever-more further-reaching... until each "contiguity's"
dissipation becomes the herald for its subsequent "contiguities'"
building-up... so the "little-deaths" become the Heralds of Joy.

=This= is Why Music is Fun... it's our minds at their Best... Set =Free=
to, Simply, and Eloquently, in the Quietude of their far-deep-within
Abstract Knowing, to Celebrate the Wonder of the Brain.

And you know what?

The Lesson Generalizes Perfectly... to Art, to Science, to
Mathematics... to the Pondering of Awesome-Truth in which we are all
Lovingly-Embraced. ken collins

RonBlue wrote:

> >But how do you convey the purpose of music???
> The purpose of music is its effect on the human nervous system.

[...]