Censorship?

Krakatoa stephan at nospam.ucla.edu
Fri Dec 25 04:38:22 EST 1998

No, I don't think your posts are angry thrashing stuff. But they are,
generally speaking, extremely arrogant. Usually you imply that you know
much more (and have some inside truth) to virtually every topic in
neuroscience, including CREB.  Whereas people spend 50-80 hours a week for
4-20 years on a typical scientific problem you tend to dismiss their
analyses (for example, by not even finishing what is a short mini-review
written for newcomers), and offer your own which you come up with after
half-reading something while sitting at your keyboard armchairing it.

Usually these are so hard to follow, they cannot be debated. But this
isn't the problem, what usually angers me is that you imply you have some
inside knowledge of some topic, and that everyone else is out to get you
and will eventually rip off this inside knowledge. You also tend to imply
that people in science are dishonest and are out to plagiarize your great
ideas, which is simply not true.  You also imply that scientists are
ignorant, that they advance falsehoods, and try to mislead people,
including themselves. Obviously, these are not flattering things to say. I
think irrespective of any problems you have with scientists for whatever
reason, this attitude, which is conveyed in many of your messages, is
unfair and insulting.

Imagine if, in whatever type of programming you do, which I am sure is
quite specialized, some guy who knew next to nothing about programming
walked into the room and said "hey I can do that in 10 minutes" spewed off
some nonsense which didn't make sense, and then wondered why you took
offense.  Basically, this is the situation you find yourself in.

Stephan