Brain Stem Injury

Mr. Shawn M. Berry booo at mfi.net
Sat Dec 26 06:41:41 EST 1998

Most of the dificulty that a person with a neurological injury has to deal
with is swelling.  That is the body's reaction to injury.  Swelling can have
a very damaging effect on the brain if it is not quickly brought under
control.  Most of the danger is in the first fiew hours or days of the
injury.  Swelling can also spread to tissue in the surrounding areas causing
problems with blood flow.

If your brainstem were damaged then you would most likely not be alive
today.  It is probably just swollen and brused because it is in proximity to
where the real injury occured (a nerve that branches off of the spine
between the disks in that location).  This nerve which controls the face was
quite likely pinched when you sustained a WHIP-LASH.  You will quite likely
have a reocvery from this injury in a month or so as the swelling goes down.
But I warn you IT WILL COME BACK AFTER SOME TIME AS A DEBILITATING INJURY.
If you are going to get some sort of settlement out of this accident make
sure that you have a lawyer and physicition who can guarantee that you will
have these problems clearly presented in court.  Otherwise  you will be in a
very very unfortunate position when you start falling apart!!!!

Shawn Berry
<tamuller91 at hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:75nc93$j0h$1 at nnrp1.dejanews.com...
>I was rear-ended on a surface street about a month ago.  My chiropractor is
>referring me to a neurologist now because I am still experiencing
considerable
>pain in my back, in addition to some loss of cognitive function
>(disorientation, inability to focus on tasks, forgetfulness), as well as
>numbness (just as if novacaine were wearing off) in the nip of my nose and
>upper lip, which has not lessened.
>
>Can anyone give me some insight into how being rear-ended can result in a
>brain stem injury?  My chiropractor was quite concerned and I'm frightened.
>I have an appoinment to see the neurologist in two days.  (The car that hit
>me was a 3/4 ton pickup going 45+ mph and I was nearly stopped).  I was
>driving, leaning forward and looking right, but didn't even have a neck
brace
>issued at the ER and I didn't think anything this serious could result.
(The